Thanks to an internet outage at home (hello, dead modem) and a winter weekend away in Klosters, last week’s freitag favorites are now this week’s. Oh well. While we were away, we enjoyed some snowy days with friends including Martin’s first time downhill skiing (wahoo!!), lots of baby giggles (little kids and snowballs are so funny) and yawns, and dreamy Swiss alpine architecture.
Now, as I type, snowflakes are falling and I’m counting down the hours until my parents arrive tomorrow afternoon for a short visit. We’re planning to see a few new sights for all of us in the next week and since this trip is pretty short I’m thrilled to know that we’ll see them again in March in the US; it definitely makes saying goodbye a little easier when you know the next visit is coming right up.
- baby food // Reese will try her first solid food in the next week and so I found Terry Gross’s interview with food writer Bee Wilson about her new book, First Bite, fascinating. I’m not sure what we’ll try first, but probably avocado, carrots, or bananas.
- baking chocolate // The last time I made chocolate babka (ca. 2010) it was pretty, but very dry. One of these winter weekends may be the perfect time to try David Lebovitz’s babka adaptation from the Honey & Co baking book.
- i leica it // I’ve always wanted to learn more about photography and so I found this field test of the Leica Q fascinating (via SwissMiss). I also love that so many of the settings can be controlled without using the screen.
- knitted // Purl Soho’s new cashmere ombre wrap kit in vermilion is so gorgeous.
- ballerina // I would love to see Misty Copeland as Degas’s ballerinas.
- lightyears // I’m a big fan of the Caravaggio lights by Lightyears (Reese even has a wall lamp in her nursery) and I’m so excited about their new Read series lamps, particularly the opal shade floor lamp, available later this year.